<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 20, 2006

Turning into my father 

I was writing an email to a friend of mine this morning when I realised that what I was writing sounded exactly like something my father would have said. So I erased it.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't erase it just because of I sounded like my father. No, it's a bit deeper than that.

Since he died or maybe since I turned 40, I've started to notice aspects of my personality are very similar to my father's. I've begun to understand him a lot more in recent years than I ever did while he was still alive. In some ways I've grown to love him more now than then. At some times in my life I hated my father.

However, this is where it becomes a useful lesson. I know now why he said and did things BUT I also remember the effect that those things can have on other people. In essence, I know how my words and deeds will appear to other people and to a certain extent I know how that will affect them. I have been at the other end of those words.

How many people can say that?

Now all I have to do is realise when I am doing it before I do it and therefore become a better person. After that, I will bring about World Peace. discover a cure for cancer and learn how to fly under my own power.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?