<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Strange musical tastes 

I have strange tastes in music. I admit it. I take a perverse delight in liking crap.

I like things from the 80s... Adam and the Ants, Queen, Human League, The Eurythmics, Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin, Erasure, the soundtrack to Xanadu. Who knows the depths to which my musical tastes will sink?

New things have come along that take my fancy ... Republica (not so new now), Kirsty MacColl (Tropical Brainstorm was brilliantly tongue in cheek), KT Tunstall, Jill Sobule, Alanis Morissette.

I also started to develop tastes in classical music since meeting David. I won't embarass myself by attempting to list any of the pieces I like. I can remember the names of the composers (mostly) but never the names of the pieces.

However, what prompted this post is another direction of music appreciation, one that again I've developed since meeting David but has worryingly started getting stronger recently. I'm talking about the annual pan-European camp-fest that it the Eurovision song contest.

I enjoy watching it each year. When my Dad was alive we used to watch it although, to be fair, my Dad watched it. I just watched the scoring. Now, David and I have friends round each year now and we watch the whole thing.

That's fine. What's worrying is that I liked two of the songs from 2004 so much that I, er, bought the album. It's on my iPod and now I listen to it almost constantly. I also like more than just the two songs now.

"On again... off again" always makes me smile. Yes, it was THAT song that made me happy last friday. It should have won. Malta were robbed!

I liked "Wild Dances" too.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?