<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 09, 2006

British Museum? 

I work in Bedford Square in central London close to the British Museum. One of the hazards of working here is that we're often asked the way to the museum.

I don't mind and I'm happy to oblige with directions. The people that ask are usually polite and are extremely grateful for the help. I was once asked for directions to the museum by a British woman when we were both standing outside it.

I was asked just now by someone who clearly didn't understand English. I started saying "it's over there, the building with the columns" and painted columns in the air with my hands but I could see that wasn't helping. All I evenutally could do was point and say "it's over there".

I'm not annoyed by this or disheartened but the episode underscores my experience in Barcelona a few weeks ago when I got lost and had to take a cab for the last few yards of my journey because I just couldn't find the hotel. The moral of both stories is this: when you are travelling and need to get somewhere, at the very least make sure you have an adequate map or if you find you must ask for directions, ensure that you have enough of a grasp of the local language to understand the directions you get back.

Comments:
Absolutely; whenever I visit any city, the first thing I always get - if possible before I arrive, courtesy of the interweb thingy - is a map of at least the city centre.

I never want to be in a similar situation to the American tourists who asked me, in all seriousness, where Edinburgh Castle was... when we were standing right in the shadow of it!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?