<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Contact lenses 

I used to subscribe to a contact lens delivery scheme where I paid a small fee every month and had a supply delivered every two months. I found, however, that out of apathy, I just wasn't wearing them often enough to justify the cost and abandoned the scheme.

Now, out of a mix of increased irritation with my glasses and a growing sense of vanity, I have been using up my stock of lenses and realise that I need to buy some more.

Just go and get some. Easy?

No.

I used to by my lenses from Dolland and Aichison which were conveniently located in Oxford Street just round the corner from here. They have moved to Regent Street, a bit of a hike from work, and an unreasonable distance if I want to go there, get my eyes tested and get back, within a stretched lunch-hour. Besides they couldn't be bothered to answer the phone to book an appointment.

So I tried Specsavers in Tottenham Court Road. I've never got on that well with Specsavers. Once they tried dodging out of fixing a pair of glasses they had sold me and another time they sold me a pair of prescription sunglasses with one lens polarised in the wrong plane which made things a bit psychadelic when I wore them. However, putting that to one side, I went in to ask about their contact lens schemes. Unfortunately, the girl behind the counter was both inarticulate and inaudible. It doesn't help that I have a hearing problem at the moment due to my recent cold/hayfever.

I asked about contact lenses. She asked (I think) whether I had made an appointment then told me I needed to get the prescription from D&A. I thought that was a bit stupid so I walked out. Later, I thought maybe she was asking if I wanted to make an appointment so I rang up. I spoke to a very polite woman who put me through to the contact lens department. The phone rang and rang. It was answered by someone eventually who explained they were busy and put me on hold. Fine. I waited. The phone was picked up again by someone else. Aha, I thought, and started to ask about contact lenses.

"You want the contact lens department?" she asked, at which point I lost it, told her not to bother and hung up.

Specsavers lost my potential business because they don't employ enough staff and their phone system is a bit rubbish. Both (and their previous track record) indicate to me that the company is cheap and I would do better to get contact lenses elsewhere.

I booked an appointment at the 2020 Optical Store instead, who seem to be fiendishly expensive. I have, however, discovered that I can buy contact lenses on-line and very cheaply from Sainsburys. So, once I have an up-to-date prescription, I'll do that.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?