<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Titanic 

David and I have just seen Titanic, the musical. It was showing at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley and was performed by the West Wickham Operatic Society. It had nothing to do with the film, by the way.

I thought it was excellent. There were a few glitches, mainly on the sound when a few of the microphones weren't live at the appropriate times or the volume not high enough but, on the whole, I thought it a very professional performance.

I always find the Titanic story a bit of a weepy and this production made this happen again. I found I was filling up during some of the numbers. One was at the beginning when the passengers are full of hope for their voyage and the new lives they are going to have in America and another was when the ship is sinking (sorry - it was a very traditional interpretation) and the men have to say goodbye to their loved ones.

That an amateur production managed to engage me to that extent is fantastic. I was very impressed.

We're going to see another production of this show in March in Hull. This should be better. We know the director and we know he has extremely high standards. I'd better pack the tissues.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?