<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Last Night of the Proms 2007 

Well, that was my fifth. I love it every time I go. This year was the second time I also went to the rehearsal in the morning. I like doing that, it means I get to hear most things clearly and see the artists a little closer than from where fate and the Proms booking system place me.

I very much enjoyed the pieces where Anna Netrebko sang. She was amazing. Not only did she have an amazingly clear, effortless voice but beautiful diction and a fabulous sense of humour. Most times I hear sopranos sing, the words are just a blur but with her, everything was clear.

Her second song, Meine Lippen sie küssen so heiss by Léhar, was a joy. Essentially the song was a woman wondering why she is so attractive to men. Anna delivered it in such a way that you didn't need to follow the translation to know what she was singing and you couldn't in any case. There was no way you could take your eyes off her while she was on the stage. She had such a presence and was obviously having a ball.

She drifted around the orchestra, draping her arms over the men and striking their heads or chests. Then she threw roses into the prommers and at the men in the side stalls.

The Albert Hall loved her and she knew it.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?