<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 14, 2009

Georgia Nicolson 

Who is Georgia Nicolson?

Georgia is the heroine in a series of books by Louise Rennison, The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson. I have written about them before on this blog but, in short, Georgia is a teenaged girl suffering all of the usual stuff that girls of that age suffer. Boys, parents, make-up, dubious little sisters and over-seed cats. The usual.

The series is incredibly funny and at times rather touching. Georgia often comes across as a rather arrogant girl who knows it all but, in reality, we know she doesn’t and, more importantly, so does she. She also loves her family dearly, especially her little sister, her ferocious cat, and her parents although she would never admit it. She also has a hidden heart of gold and ends up, almost secretly, doing the right thing.

Rennison has, through Georgia and her supporting characters, a remarkable talent for inventing new words and phrases: poo-parlour division, nippy noodles, basoomas and nunga-nungas to name but a few. There’s the snogging scale and the having a hump scale (no, not that sort of hump, you dirty mixes!).

David buys me the latest book in the series for my birthday each year. As yesterday was my birthday I now have the tenth in the series, ‘Are these my basoomas I see before me?’

Unfortunately, it is also the last.

I am almost reluctant to read the book although I know that when I start I will read it obsessively and finish the thing within a day. Will Rennison end it on a high?

Will Georgia see the light and drop Massimo the luuuurve god, forget about Robbie the sex god and finally realise that she belongs with Dave the Laugh?

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?