<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Train 

I haven't ranted about the train for a long time. Nowadays, it takes an especially bad journey to give me enough of an incentive to want to write about it.

Today I missed the 8am train by a matter of seconds and so took the 8:20. I sat at the front and I was soon joined by a woman talking loudly on her phone just behind me and a couple of ladies applying makeup and sorting out their hair. This was before we left Orpington! However, the woman on the phone ended her call and the ladies in the salon finished tarting themselves up before the train got under way or I ceased to notice them.

All went well until we got to Grove Park when a large woman sat beside me, forcing me to lean into the aisle somewhat. Another equally large lady stood in the aisle beside me forcing me to lean back into the fat woman on the seat.

Meanwhile, a woman carrying way too many bags was poking me in the leg with her umbrella. It was her that I hated more than anyone else and I came within a hair’s breadth of actually saying something to her.

I didn’t say a word, however. I knew that the temptation to embellish my comments with sarcasm would get the better of me or I would come across as an incoherent loony and either way, I would look bad.

I’ve also seen a few similar situations devolve rather rapidly … shouting on the train or a stand-up fight in St Pancras tube station. I don’t want to be part of that.

What I will try to do is make sure I get the 8am or even the 7:56 train in the morning. That might mean walking. I need the exercise anyway.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?